Front of House Manager
Full time, all year round
We are seeking a Front of House Manager to lead a team of staff in delivering a first class food service to pupils/customers/parents and staff. You will be an excellent communicator and motivate and manage the front of house team to provide a high standard of food service and excellent customer care. You will also be responsible for ensuring high levels of cleanliness and compliance with health and safety at all times.
You will support the Head of Catering and Hospitality in delivering the catering services at Headington School, which are a unique selling point of the School.
The Catering Department
The Catering Department consists of 35 staff operating over two sites, Prep and Senior schools.
All the catering staff are directly employed by the school. We operate all year round with external lettings during the Summer and Easter Holidays.
The Front of House Manager is a full time, all year round role mainly working Mondays to Fridays including evenings and with occasional weekend work. The working hours will normally be between the hours of 6.00 am and 8.00 pm.
- manage the School Dining Room, working with the team to deliver a quality front of house service throughout meal times. This will include assisting in queue control, clearing stations, replenishing of stocks, spillages and guiding pupils as required
- supporting the Head of Catering and Hospitality in managing events across both sites at Headington (including Prep School)
- liaising with the Chef Manager at the Prep School regarding resourcing for events
- liaise with staff and external customers to ensure the smooth running of events and ensure that the high levels of service expected within the School are maintained
- provide an excellent ‘front of house’ customer care service and approach for the pupils, staff and visitors to the dining room
- manage the front of house team to ensure that they are effective and motivated in going about their duties, and daily dining room / wash up duties are allocated effectively
- carry out or arrange the training and development of staff across both sites in Front of House skills to include food service to the pupils
- ensure that all cleaning equipment adheres to COSHH and that staff are appropriately trained to use the equipment and cleaning products required
Qualifications and Experience
- Level 2 Food Hygiene
- previous experience of working in a large food services environment and managing events
- Level 3 Food Hygiene
Personal Attributes and Skills
- self starter, organised, team player, flexible, calm under pressure
- sense of teamwork – works harmoniously with others to get job done, works well with peers, co-workers, managers and across groups
- support of diversity - treats all people with respect; values diversity & provides supportive environment treating all staff fairly
Terms of Appointment
Type of Contract
Full time (40 hours per week between 6.00 am and 8.00 pm), permanent, all year round, starting ASAP
Contributory membership of the School’s Support Staff Pension Scheme with a School contribution of up to 9.95 per cent upon successful completion of six months’ service.
In accordance with the School’s policy, which may be subject to change, up to 50 per cent fee remission for girls attending Headington School and up to 20 per cent fee remission for boys attending Magdalen College School (under a reciprocal agreement) and subject to the terms of their policy. Fee remission is calculated on the number of weeks and hours worked and is pro rata for part-time staff.
£27,900 per annum
All staff have access to a broad programme of wellbeing activities. The programme currently includes access to the School’s gym and swimming pool, weekly Yoga, Step and Tone and Zumba classes and regular staff social activities such as Book Club and Staff Choir. Staff also benefit from free access to the Employee Assistance Programme, a free, confidential helpline that offers advice on a range of issues. Free restricted parking is available for all staff on site.
Appointment Process and How To Apply
Applicants should submit an application form and a covering letter detailing their skills and experience to email@example.com
- Applications will only be accepted from candidates completing the application form in full. CVs will not be accepted in substitution for completed application forms. However, they may be sent in addition to the application form.
- We will seek references on shortlisted candidates and will approach previous employers for information to verify particular experience or qualifications, before the interview. References will ask about your suitability to work with children.
- If you are invited to interview you will receive notification outlining the interview process and guidance regarding the documentation you are required to provide.
Closing Date: Please apply immediately
Interviews arranged on application
Applications are reviewed and shortlisted on a rolling basis and we reserve the right to interview, appoint and close adverts early depending on the volume of applications we receive. We therefore encourage you to apply at the earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment as once we have closed a vacancy you will be unable to submit your application form.
All appointments are subject to satisfactory completion of all employment checks, ie references, Disclosure and Barring Service, medical questionnaire, Right to Work in the UK. Headington School is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Applicants must undergo child protection screening, including checks with past employers and DBS and barred lists checks. The School expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.